For the card we are doing, I opted to leave the Top Note piece white Mother of Pearl. However, the butterflies were sponged with colors after using the technique on a square piece of Shimmery White card stock. The "butterflies" were then stamped with one of the flower images from the Mixed Bunch Stamp Set from the Occasions Mini Catalog which ends on April 30. I used the Blossom Punch to punch out the flower and then cut out two petals from the flower to form the butterfly.
In the photo below, you can see a version of the card where the petals cut off were different for each butterfly. The Wisteria Wonder butterfly was formed by cutting out a "top" and a "bottom" petal (cutting each petal into the center of the blossom) leaving two petals on each side of the blossom. The Blushing Bride butterfly was formed by cutting off two "top" petals that are next to each other leaving four petals around the bottom. Ultimately I liked the Blushing Bride version, but I will show both versions and let the class attendees choose which ones they want to use.
And isn't the Pleated Satin Ribbon from the Occasions Mini Catalog fabulous behind a die cut? I love the look of gathered ribbon without all the work! Be sure to check out the FREE tutorial on the Faux Mother of Pearl technique at the end of the post. Enjoy!
BUTTERFLIES FOR MOM SUPPLIES:
- Stamp Sets – Mixed Bunch (W#125535 $27.95, C#125537 $21.95), Friendly Phrases (W#126149 $18.95, C#126151 $14.95)
- Card Stock – Wisteria Wonder, Shimmery White
- Ink – Concord Crush (retiring), Wisteria Wonder, Blushing Bride (retiring) Classic, Frost White Shimmer Paint (#116854, $5.95)
- Ribbon – Blushing Bride 3/8" Pleated Satin (#125570, $6.95)
- Punches – Blossom (#125603, $16.95)
- Accessories – Basic Pearl Jewels Accents (#119247, $4.95)
- Tools – Big Shot, Top Note Die (#113463, $21.95), Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430, $3.95), Sponge Daubers
FAUX MOTHER-OF-PEARL TECHNIQUE:
- Pour a few drops of Frost White Shimmer Paint onto a CD or plastic tray of some sort.
- Scrunch up a piece of plastic wrap, wax paper or cellophane and dip it into the Shimmer Paint. Dab off the paint a bit on another part of the plastic tray.
- Dab paint coated plastic wrap onto Glossy White or Shimmery White card stock randomly covering the card stock evenly, but not completely—you want white spaces. Allow to dry.
- Apply classic ink color of your choice over the entire surface with a Sponge Dauber, Stampin’ Sponge or Brayer.
- Tip: Try using multiple colors for a watercolor look. See the butterflies on the Technique card above.
LOYALTY REWARDS - When you purchase $50 or more, you qualify for my Loyalty Rewards program! This Frequent Stamper program is my way of saying "thank you" to my returning customers in appreciation of their business and is in addition to other Stampin' Rewards. Earn FREE stamps with MarieStamps.com!