HAPPY JULY 4TH!!!
Another entry for the July Creative Crew Challenges on Splitcoaststampers. This one was a Holiday Focus Challenge to show your National Spirit. When I went to design a card for the challenge, I realized that I didn't have ANY current patriotic stamps. YIKES! So, I went with a patriotic nautical theme that says Happy Birthday to America. It kind of works, right? And it is can double as a masculine birthday card, too!
You may have noticed this card design is a little different! It is a Twisted Easel card. With a Twisted Easel, you have to be sure that you have something raised like a medallion, button, etc. to keep the card from sliding back down. In this case I used Baker's Twine with knots tied in it for the card to rest on. And I included the compass rose medallion just in case the knots stopped holding it. Simple directions are at the end of the post. This will also be one of the folds we will be doing in my Fancy Folds Class on July 28.
For the card front, the stars are all cut with the Stars #2 die and then I used the Inset Embossing technique for the background. Then I stamped the boat on the main piece and then again on scrap card stock. I cut out the sails of the second boat and adhered them onto the main piece with Stampin' Dimensions. Then I used the Illuminate Smooch Pearlized Accent to give them some shimmer. The star was given it's glitz with some White Shimmer Mist. Previously I gave a recipe using a bigger bottle and another color. You can see my White Shimmer Mist recipe at the end of the post.
Here is a closeup. I tried to capture the sparkle on the sails and star under the button, but my camera wasn't cooperating very well. If you click the picture to enlarge it, you can see it some though.
If you would like to play along, here is the challenge info:
CCREW0711HF, CreativeCrew, SUO or SUM -- Holiday focus: Show your national spirit! What does your country mean to you?
PATRIOTIC BIRTHDAY SUPPLIES:
- Stamp Sets – Sail Away (#123013, $9.95), The Open Sea (W#123030 $26.95, C#123032 $18.95), Curly Cute (W#117014 $16.95, C#10510 $14.95)
- Card Stock – Night of Navy, Cherry Cobbler, Whisper White, Nautical Expedition DSP
- Ink – Night of Navy, Cherry Cobbler, Illuminate Top Coat Smooch Pearlized Accent Ink (#121084, $5.50)
- Ribbon – Cherry Cobbler/White Baker's Twine (#123125, $2.95), White Baker's Twine (#124262, $2.95)
- Punches – 1-3/8" Circle (#119860, $15.95), 1-1/4" Circle (#119861, $15.95),
- Accessories – Regals Brads (#119737, $6.95), Regals Designer Buttons (#119744, $8.95), Frost White Shimmer Paint in White Shimmer Mist (#116854, $5.95), Stampin' Dimensionals (#104430, $3.95), Mono Multi
- Tools – Big Shot, Stars #2 Die (#118138, $11.95), Square Lattice Embossing Folder (#119976, $7.95), Paper Piercer & Mat, Sponge Daubers
- Take a Mini-Mister (sold in packs of three at craft stores). Remove spray head and straw of mini mister and set aside.
- Fill the Mini Mister with 70% rubbing alcohol to 1/4” below the screw-threads of the bottle.
- SHAKE Frost White Shimmer Paint vigorously until it is WELL mixed.
- Carefully remove the lid of the shimmer paint and pour a bit of it into the mini mister. Not too much, I would say about 1/8 tsp. If you desire more shimmer, you can always add more.
- Insert spray nozzle into the Mini Mister, make sure it is on tightly with the cap.
- Replace lid on shimmer paint, and set aside
- Shake the filled mini mister vigorously to ensure it is well mixed.
- Place your cardstock in a Color Catcher and spray with the mist.
- The paper will curl up, but will relax and flatten when dry.
- Store the mini mister in a vertical position.
- The paint will settle/separate from the rubbing alcohol after a while, so be sure to shake well before using again.
TWISTED EASEL CARD INSTRUCTIONS:
- Cut card stock to 5-1/4" x 10-1/2" card stock.
- In the landscape position, score at 5-1/4".
- On the card FRONT, score diagonally across the from the bottom left corner to the top right corner.
- Embellish as desired. Just make sure your element on the front of your card is adhered to the bottom right portion of the card front ONLY and not to the entire card front.
- The card does fold flat for mailing.